Thursday, March 11, 2010

Embrace Your Vision

There are so many reasons why starting your own business does not make sense. Whether it's a for-profit or a non-profit, the amount of time, energy, and commitment it requires is enough to make anyone want to throw up their hands and call it a day. I mean, small business, especially non-profit organizations, are a dime a dozen, right? Well, that is true in some ways but not in others. For example, the world hasn't had the benefit of your great idea! Yes, you have something to contribute to the world and, if you feel like it is a business or a non-profit, embrace that vision and go for it. That's what I'm doing and it feels great!

Another reason that it's important to embrace your vision is because it is a part of you. My desire to start an educational non-profit was strong enough to wake me from my sleep at night but I always found a way of convincing myself that it wasn't the right time. The truth is that there is no RIGHT time. There is only now. And if you're interested in starting a non-profit organization now, be organized about it and get to work. I am a married graduate student who is working on her dissertation, starting a non-profit, launching a for-profit, and writing books. Oh, did I mention that I was a mother of a 10 month old and I commute to campus. You might call it crazy but, for me, now is the time. I could use all of my other commitments as reasons not to follow my dreams. People do that everyday but that is the fastest way of losing yourself. If you don't want to lose that youthful passion that you have, you better get busy following your dreams! Your vision is an aspect of who you are. EMBRACE IT! I'm no superwoman. I am a woman determined to follow her dreams so that I don't feel like a hypocrite when I tell my daughter to do the same.

There is nothing more exciting then working towards your dreams; even when it seems like the odds are against you. Be encouraged, get busy and vent here on The Nonprofit Diaries when you need to. We'll encourage each other! The world is waiting on you! Let's get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment